Wednesday, January 7, 2015

My Simply Filling Confession...

So, since I've given into my desire to lose weight this year, hopefully a substantial amount by November 1 (in time for a dress fitting for my December 4th wedding), I figured that I needed a plan.

Not a temporary plan, but one that I can potentially stick to for life.

As in, I need to be able to lose weight, while learning how to eat forever; instead of my usual "eat like this to lose weight, then figure out how to maintain the weight loss later!!!" way.

I hesitated to go down this route again, because I really want to be an intuitive eater and to never diet again, since dieting DOES NOT WORK long term (which basically means that it doesn't work at all, because who wants to lose weight only short term?).

Because of my EDNOS history, and because of my self-diagnosed "diet addiction", I really was reluctant to follow any sort of plan.

But.

BUT...

But I really want some structure from an outside force, to help me along the way this year.

And I needed it to be something that can easily transition into intuitive eating one day, while also allowing me to lose weight without making weight loss THE central focus point of my life.

So... 

I am going to try out Weight Watchers again, this time only ever using the Simply Filling Technique.

I have a friend who is a WW leader in NYC, and she told me a while back how WW worked for her.  Basically, she counted points for everything for awhile, then switched to Core and now she is just an intuitive eater who runs a lot.  She's maintained her happy weight for years now, and leads WW meetings.  Yeah, that sounds pretty nice.

I'd like to do something similar to that.

Here's how I'm going to make WW work for me in 2015:

  1. Follow the Simply Filling Technique exclusively.  No need to ever count points for everything, no need to track any foods on the "Power Foods" list.  Listen to hunger signals 100% of the time.  Only track non-filling foods.  Modify plan as needed to fit my lifestyle.
  2. Don't consider myself to be on Weight Watchers.  I really don't.  I am not telling anyone about it (except you guys, my brother, and Stacey) because I will not really be a "Weight Watcher".  I am using the Simply Filling Technique as a guide for healthier eating for weight loss, but I am not a slave to WW.  I don't have a WW app on my phone.  I will not turn down a mini-muffin at work if I'm hungry because "Weight Watchers".  I will never be a "success story" for their site or magazine, and I will not spend hours browsing their message boards or recipe pages.  Nope. 
  3. Weigh in once a week.  No more, no less.  This will help me to stay on track with my weight loss goals. 
  4. No specific wedding weight loss goal.  I am following SFT relatively loosely, and will consider whatever weight loss "success" that I have by my dress fitting to be just that: successful. 
  5. Use it as a transition into true intuitive eating.  Seriously, listen to my hunger signals, and honor my hunger.  Use power foods and good health guidelines as a roadmap to healthier eating, but also enjoy non-power foods in moderation.  No weekly WPA binge.  Probably will take special days off, but not to binge, just to not worry about tracking anything.

So that's what I'm doing for now.  I will probably post some  helpful SFT tips now and then, for anyone who is also eating this way.  I don't think that I will do weekly weigh-in posts, but I will probably do monthly SFT check-in posts or something. 

I hope that none of you judge me for technically dieting again.  If you do though, you're probably not the type of supporter that I care for anyway.  You probably stopped following this blog when I stopped being vegan, or stopped being vegetarian, or quit and began any number of diets before, so aren't reading it anymore anyway, right?  ;-) 

To my super supportive no-matter-what readers:  KISSES! xoxoxoxo!



No comments: