Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Diet soda and gum


DIET SODA AND GUM- Let me first say that I am in no way against either of these things.  I will not preach about the evils that artificial sweetners do to us, or about how these are not "real" things, but fake franken-food stuffs.  That is soooo not the point of this post.

What is the point, you ask?

Well.  It's just another post about my newfound status as an non-emotional eater.

Since I stopped eating for reasons other than hunger a few weeks ago, I've noticed something else that felt blog-worthy. 

I used to almost constantly be drinking a diet soda or chewing a piece of sugar free gum.  Seriously.  Almost constantly.  Some days actually constantly.

I would wake up, drink diet coke until I could get breakfast, then immediately pop a piece of gum in my mouth after my meal was gone.  After the gum went bad, I would either pop in a new piece, eat a snack, or drink another diet soda.  Seriously.  From the time that I woke up in the morning until right before bedtime, my mouth was either chewing or swallowing.

Last week I chewed only 4 pieces of gum and drank about 4 diet sodas a day.  For me, this is a huge decrease. 

This was not a consious move.  It was just an observation that I didn't have to buy my usual three pack of gum and three 12-packs of diet soda for the week.  Because I still have plenty left from the week before.

And it hit me:  I was not just an emotional eater.  I was an emotional drinker and chewer, too.  I was using diet soda and sugar free gum as tools to get me through those non-eating hours.  I wanted to constantly be eating.  But because that caused weight gain, I was contantly chewing gum or drinking diet soda between meals and snacks.

I also think that this was leftover EDNOS behavior.  Back in my severe ED days (about 8 years ago), I was all about the diet soda and sugar free gum.  Even though I "recovered" (I put that word in quotes because my food obsession didn't actually end until recently), I kept the diet soda and sugar free gum addictions as a safety net.

Why I drank diet soda before:
(1) to fill me up between meals
(2) to enjoy as a beverage between with my food
(3) to wake up!

Why I drink diet soda now:
(1) to enjoy as a beverage with my food
(2) to wake up...

Why I chewed sugar free gum before:
(1) to keep my mouth busy between meals

Why I chew sugar free gum now:
(1) when my mouth tastes bad and I suspect bad breath.

I'm not planning to give either up.  I enjoy my diet sodas and gum a lot.  And now that I'm consuming them in moderation (hey - four cans a day is low for some of us!)  I see no reason to be concerned about it.  If I naturally continue to consume less and less of each over time until they are just occassional treats or I just no longer want them, then fine.  Otherwise, they are in my life to stay.  :-)


Mom with her token Diet Coke in hand


Plus, Mom was a Diet Coke fan and I will always think of her when I drink that specific diet soda. 

What are your thoughts on diet soda and sugar free gum?  Do you consume them more than you would like; are you anti- or pro-?  Let me know!  :-)


7 comments:

Amy said...

I believe all things in moderation. For me - gum works! I like it and it makes me happy. :) About 13 years ago I quit drinking regular Coke and lost 15 lbs without even trying. I then switched to Diet and haven't looked back. Although, I drink far less than I used to. One a day with supper. Or sometimes lunch too if I am at a restaurant or have certain foods. I don't obsess over it. But I am not going to cut it completely, because I don't want to. Knowing full well I should...it would make me a better runner! :)

Liz said...

I agree with all things in moderation - I can never give up coffee or diet pepsi!

I've been reading your blog ever since you were on the WWers message boards, you've always been an inspiration, I've nominated you for a Liebster award.

http://veggingoutinsac.blogspot.com/2013/03/liebster-awards.html

Liz said...

I agree with all things in moderation - I can never give up coffee or diet pepsi!

I've been reading your blog ever since you were on the WWers message boards, you've always been an inspiration, I've nominated you for a Liebster award.

http://veggingoutinsac.blogspot.com/2013/03/liebster-awards.html

Robyn said...

I wish I could chew gum once in a while to try to alleviate snacking cravings or to keep my mouth busy but I have jaw issues and can't, however I don't think its necessarily a bad thing to use as a way to pass through wanting to eat food. But understanding why you do a behavior is important and to make sure it is for the right reasons for you and if you are happy and ok then that is all that matters

Mariebop said...

I'm not a fan of diet soda. Actually, the artificial sweeteners give me headaches. Though I used to drink them instead of regular soda. Now that I don't drink much soda anymore, I'll just drink a regular one when the mood strikes.

I am a gum chewer but only because I like minty fresh breath. The mintier the gum the better. :D

Tiffany said...

I drink a lot of soda but have never been a gum chewer lol. I am working on decreasing my diet/reg sodas.

Rachael said...

I drink diet soda a few times a week and chew a piece or two of sugar free gum most days. Nothing wrong with either of those in moderation.