Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My Christmas Weight Watchers Plan!


Okay, it's good to have a plan for things like this. This year, I feel like I have mastered getting through situations that used to cause weight gain unscathed. For example, I actually lost weight while vacationing in NYC, and I actually lost weight my birthday week. So, I am wondering if I can actually lose weight over Christmas.

Really, I'm fine maintaining for the week. But since I don't know how to maintain yet, I will go for losing. My week starts over on Saturdays, and Christmas is on a Saturday this year!

This does mean that I will be skipping my weigh-in, because I will be out of town (and away from my scale). This also means that my points will reset on Christmas morning! This is excellent for me. In case I get carried away with treats, I will have all 29 DP plus all 49 WPA to eat in one day, if necessary.

I have already begun my Christmas WW plan: I got up early this morning and did my cardio workout before work. Me, the biggest evening exerciser out there, got out of bed early just to exercise.

And guess what? Not only is it possible for me to do this once seemingly impossible task, I REALLY ENJOYED IT. I officially know how I am going to keep exercising through the school year: I will do it before work. I am still energized from this morning's workout, and it's after 3.

Joel is coming to town today, so I knew that if I didn't get up and do it this morning, it wouldn't get done. So, first item: check!

The next part of my Christmas WW Plan is to cook a healthy dinner tonight, even if/when my family orders pizza or gets fast food. I simply can't afford to eat like crap just because my brother is in town, even though I always have in the past. I need to save my fun points for truly special food, like cookies and bon-bons.

Which brings me to item number 3: Calculate PointsPlus for all of my holiday baking (for me that is sugar cookies and bon-bons, both vegan-ized, plus some special vegan chocolates that my mom ordered for me) and plan to eat some of each holiday day. For my family, this is Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and The Day After Christmas.

Number 4: Get in some exercise tomorrow, preferably an hour. Then, give myself permission to take three days of rest in a row. Otherwise I will stress about exercise while out of town, and I really don't want that stress. It's been a long time since I had that many days of rest in a row, but I think that I can manage to do this once a year.

Number 5: Bring plenty of healthy snacks and foods to Grandma's house. I don't think that I will be the only person who would appreciate some healthy options! I'm thinking lots of cut-up fruits and veggies, plus a bag of brown rice and some beans. Oh, and some peanut butter and sandwich thins. No one else in my family is even kind of vegan, so I never go to family gatherings expecting there to be something for me to eat. Always go prepared with my own food! (which, of course, I will share if anyone wants some)

Number 6: TRACK every day. Every bite, lick, and taste. That way, if I do end up going "overboard" with anything, I will know exactly why I gained weight this week. But I don't intend on going overboard. Really, there's no need to: I have a great plan in place, and LOTS of points to work with.

Number 7: Pictures!!!*** I have avoided the camera for so long, that it looks as if I didn't exist for the last three Christmases or so. And that is so sad to me. Now that I like the way that I look, I no longer want to avoid the cameras. I'm ready to shine! And I will be posting pictures on here, no worries. :-)

Finally: Enjoy my family. Christmas is not just about food, or even mostly about food. I'm not religious, but I do believe in peace on earth and goodwill to all. And I believe in my family. I love every single one of them so much. I cannot wait to see them! I need to remember to not obsess about food, just enjoy the company.

***Please don't avoid being in pictures! Even if you don't like the way your body looks right now, some day you will regret not being in the photo album. I know that I do.


3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I found you on the WW forums/blogs and have been reading up on you a little on your blog. Now I sound like a creeper. I'm not. hahaha But your comment about pictures really hit me. I haven't existed much the last few years either. But as the pounds slowly melt away, I am becoming more and more confident again. I appreciate you being open about your journey. It's helping me on mine.

Jess said...

Can't wait to see you at Christmas and glad there will be some healthy alternatives for our visit = )

And, if you're up for it, maybe we can even squeeze in a walk or something so I don't feel so sedentary!

Leah: Not Otherwise Specified said...

Priscilla- Thanks for being there for me throughout my entire WLJ so far. :-) I really don't think that I could have made it this far without good WW friends like you always having my back. And I am so lucky to have such a great support system in my boyfriend! I hope that your family gets more supportive of you soon. You deserve it, and I'll always have your back.

Jennifer- I'm glad that you found me! Thanks for reading up. I am so happy to hear that you are finding your confidence. It's hard to do when we've spent so much time focusing on our flaws!

Jessica- I can't wait to see you, either! I will definately be up for a walk. Sounds fantastic to me.